COURSE STRUCTURE & PREREQUISITE SKILLS
The Level 1 course is divided into two sections. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification:
- An Online, 10-day, guided section. The total time commitment is approximately 10-12 hours. During this section candidates must complete video modules with assessment questions, online testing and attend multiple webinars. Instructor Trainers (ITs) will present material to Instructor Candidates (ICs) during some of the webinars, and ICs will be expected to present to the IT, and the rest of the class, during the other webinar. Here's a brief tutorial of how to gain access to your online course.
- An In-person, 2-day, evaluation. The total time commitment is approximately 18-20 hours. Students will be evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills and on-water class management, among other topics.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT LEVEL 1 ONLINE
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Candidates under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLING & CERTIFICATION
Before signing up for the ONLINE section, you must have/complete the following:
Before signing up for the IN-PERSON section, you must complete the following:
Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification: from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or and U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
- SafeSport. This program, developed by the US Olympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- A few notes on completing Safesport...
- Enter your US Sailing member number.If you need to find it click here.
- Complete all the modules.
- You DO NOT have to complete it all at once. The course allows you to log in and out without losing your progress.
TAKE THE SAFESPORT TRAINING